Gypsies and Travellers
Gypsy and Traveller Scrutiny
One of our aims is to "increase understanding and develop a new approach for our Gypsy community"
We are a member of the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller Partnership and are working with other local organisations and the Gypsy and Traveller community to understand the needs of that community and to achieve the aims highlighted by the partnership.
1. Better relationships between the Council and local Gypsy and Traveller communities, specifically;
- Consultation and communication mechanisms
- A protocol setting out what you can expect from us and what we can expect from you, summarising the roles we play, key contacts and partners.
2. Breaking down barriers and building understanding between settled residents and the local Gypsy communities, specifically;
- Understanding the tensions that exist and why
- Production of a video by Rural Media in order to further inform the community of the culture and history surrounding the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller community.
3. Balancing supply of sites and demand for the future – helping to inform the planning process, specifically;
- Pre-application engagement and advice
- Proper enforcement
- If requirements for new sites arise, setting out the principles that will need to be applied
You can learn more about the real culture and myths surrounding Gypsy and Traveller communities by reading Jake Bowers article on The Traveller's Times website